Sunday, June 21, 2009

Animals, vegetables and the nursery.

We went to Luke Bastian's 5-year birthday party yesterday. So hard to believe he's 5 already! My sweet niece Addison will be 5 in August and I can't believe that she'll be heading to kindergarten in the fall! Crazy.

Braden had fun checking out Luke's pet hamster. He was very intrigued. He loves dogs and now it seems he loves rodents, too! It's funny because Anthony and I are not pet people. We often discuss how it seems like everyone in our neighborhood seems to have a dog (generally when they are barking and waking us up!). Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this plays out as Braden grows up and wants his first pet. We'll have to figure out one close that can be his "special" pet that he can go visit!






Braden has decided to go on a vegetable strike. I told Anthony while we were at Sweet Tomatoes tonight for dinner that I think it is ever since we gave him some of those dreaded veggie sticks (the chip kind)! I realize that it is a phase and I don't have to worry if he only gets his veggies from a plastic bag, but I can only handle so many veggies thrown on the floor!

After every meal Braden climbs onto the bottom rung of his high chair to find out what food he stored for himself in his seat for a post-meal snack. This time he's checking out what Kyndal left for him! As you can see, she's not that impressed! I have tried sneaking some veggies into his seat thinking he might be fooled, but no, not this child!



We volunteered in the nursery tonight at church. We figured that if we get to use the services it is the least that we can do to volunteer. Braden does not like being left in the nursery at all. So we thought this would be a good experience for him to see that it's fun and that Mommy and Daddy would stay and play with him and his friend. Well, we weren't so lucky. He's going through a bit of a Mommy-phase and basically wanted me to hold him or to sit on my lap the whole time in the nursery unless he was eating cheerio's or veggie sticks. As you can see from the picture at the bottom, sometimes the veggie sticks weren't even enough! At least he doesn't seem to be bothering Cole and Bella as they eat their cheerio's. Isn't that table awesome! I think it can hold up to 10 kids!


And to close, I just want to recognize Anthony on this Father's Day for being the best father Braden could ever ask for. And to thank my Dad for being such a great father to me.

1 comment:

Angela said...

As for the vegetables - if you keep offering them to him (as frustrating as it is when they land on the ground :) ) it will just be a phase...if you give up and quit offering them to him, it will be a lifestyle - at least that is what I have noticed with Madeline and our friend's kids. So just keep offering him some and eventually he'll try them again :). It really helps once you can add things for them to "dip" the veggies into- we use hummus, Ranch, BBQ sauce, honey, honey+mustard, ketchup...it is amazing what my child will eat when 'dip' is involved- even collard greens (yuck!)

As for pets- we are pet people, and since having children, I feel like we have too many! So I will be curious to see how it plays out for you guys as well!