Monday, March 19, 2012

Winter Storm and update.

We had a winter storm this weekend. It was quite nice (70-80 degrees and sunny gets boring after 3 straight months :-))! Good solid rain, a drop in weather and a beautiful rainbow! Braden also made a lot of progress through the weekend. He even tried running a bit... although he got frustrated as soon as he realized he couldn't catch Hunter!
 View from our backyard.
The 3x's daily routine. Anthony said he feels like a drug dealer. On a positive note, Braden has mastered taking the awful stuff and actually asks for it now because he gets some chocolate after. Anthony also told him it's his army going to fight the infection. He's realized that gagging and spitting it out just prolongs the problem and actually took the spoon and took it himself last night and this morning. Thanks to everyone who was praying for that one!

On a similar note, I thought I would share a link to an article I read about antibiotic resistance just this week. Definitely took more of an interest in it after our ordeal. I hope the problem is addressed. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/antibiotic-resistance-could-bring-end-modern-medicine-150406532--abc-news.html 

Braden is getting back to the things he loves - walking (yeah, don't realize we love that one 'til you can't do it for 2-weeks!), swinging, driving his tractor, being outside, looking for bugs... Maybe by next week he'll be back at t-ball! Very thankful for no cast to deal with through this ordeal!
This doctor kit that the kids got for Christmas has become the toy of the moment. Braden definitely has been doing some role playing of his adventure. Someone asked him his favorite and least favorite parts of the hospital. He said the least favorite was when they "flushed" him. This is the term they used when they tried to get his IV to work and, although I didn't realize he knew the term, I wasn't surprised that was his answer because the IV ordeal was by far the worst of the whole thing. He also said his favorite part of the hospital was leaving! Mimi has endured about 100 blood draws and flushes since he's been home. 

Braden has been interested in "doctor stuff" though since before this. Awhile back he told me, "Mommy, I want to be a doctor when I grow up. I'm going to go to really sick people's houses and take my stuff, like my heart thing, medicines and music and make them feel better." 

He also asked me one time, "What are germs." My response, "Oh, they are just germs." Braden's response, "No, they are little creatures that fight against our body and get in there and make you sick." My response, "Yeah, that's a pretty good description!"

Here they are looking under rocks for bugs. We did ask the doctor's about Braden's infection being from an insect or scorpion bite. They said it would have had a different response, so I've ruled that one out although I'm not sure Anthony has.
Hunter's glad things are getting back to normal, too. He's ready for some one-on-one with Braden. Sweet little guy, every time he sees basketball on TV he says, "Go Duke!" He doesn't know the knife tear that causes these days...
Our flowers are blooming!
Hunter's favorite food in the whole wide world is popcorn!

I realized there were some pics of things that happened pre-hospital that I never posted, so thought I would include them here.
Lots of crafts were done during Mimi's visit. I wish I would have inherited some of her talent and interest in all things crafty... but I honestly got zero. 
Hunter started soccer. Let's just say we probably won't register for a second session...
Pre-hospital Spring Training fun!
Enjoying the weather.
We had a couple of backyard fires.
Braden loves them!
And Hunter loves the marshmallows!

No comments: