
Christmas Eve has always been my favorite part about Christmas. There is generally a tranquility that it brings and Christmas Eve church service is one of my favorite things. To me, it focuses on what Christmas is really about.
The past two years I have thought a lot about Mary around Christmas. Last year it was the excitement of being pregnant and hearing the words of the story in a different light while our own little baby grew in my belly. This year it's the joy, excitement and absolute indescribable love that Braden brings me as his mother!
As I think about Mary I am even further amazed at how she handled the birth of our Savior. Pastor Jamie preached this past Sunday about how Mary, who they believe was around 15 years old when the angel Gabriel visited her and told her she would become pregnant with the Son of God, handled that situation. Yes, she was overwhelmed, but she trusted her God (Luke 1:26-38). One of my favorite lines in the Bible comes after Mary gave birth to Jesus and had received some of the people who came to worship Jesus. It says "Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart (Luke 2:19)." I thank God for the things that I can treasue in my heart. Although I don't believe Mary is to be worshiped, I do believe we can learn from her and trust that God has only the best for us in mind even when it might seem different or bigger than what we can comprehend.
With all the craziness in the world, it is easy to forget the fact that 2000 years ago the Prince of Peace was born into this fallen world solely to save us and show us how to live and love. Jesus was in Heaven living in perfection. He chose to come to us and show us His grace and mercy. I think He gives us little glimpses of perfection every once in awhile to help us understand even more what he gave up for us. Anthony makes a good point in comparing Jesus and Santa. We teach kids that they have to be "good" in order to get what they want from Santa. Thankfully with Jesus, He knows we can't be "good" all the time and so He show us His grace and makes His gift of salvation available to all of us no matter if we are naughty or nice. I know that brings me peace.
One of my favorite Christmas songs is Welcome to Our World by Chris Rice. He says what I feel much better than I can. Here are the lyrics and a link to a video of the song if you'd like to check it out.We wish you a very joyful Christmas as we celebrate the birth of Immanuel, God with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z1mRFpeJPk
Welcome to Our World (Chris Rice)
Tears are falling, hearts are breaking
How we need to hear from God
You've been promised, we've been waiting
Welcome Holy Child
Welcome Holy Child
Hope that you don't mind our manger
How I wish we would have known
But long-awaited Holy Stranger
Make Yourself at home
Please make Yourself at home
Bring Your peace into our violence
Bid our hungry souls be filled
Word now breaking Heaven's silence
Welcome to our world
Welcome to our world
Fragile finger sent to heal us
Tender brow prepared for thorn
Tiny heart whose blood will save us
Unto us is born
Unto us is born
So wrap our injured flesh around You
Breathe our air and walk our sod
Rob our sin and make us holy
Perfect Son of God
Perfect Son of God
Welcome to our world
No comments:
Post a Comment